[conspire] OOP

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 30 22:19:54 PDT 2020

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> And even game developers moved on to things like
> Entity/Component/System designs that used composition to grant in-game
> models the ability to receive and react to events like the old
> early-90s MUDs did.  And even textbook polygon-categorisation class
> hierarchy diagrams that were held up as the obvious Correct Thing gave
> us the name for the fundamental flaw in this approach: The Diamond
> Problem.

For those trying to follow along at home:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_inheritance#The_diamond_problem

Meanwhile, I note today's addition to my Lexicon page:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#betteridge

   Betteridge's Law

   "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the
   word 'no'."  British technology journalist Ian Betteridge made this
   observation in a February 2009 article, reasoning that journalists
   use that style of headline when they know the story is probably
   bullshit, and don't have the sources and facts to back it up, but
   still want to run it.

This addition was motivated by:

   "Last phase of the desktop wars?"
   http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=8764

...and related Slashdot waste-of-time (but I repeat myself) URL
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/20/09/27/193250/eric-s-raymond-is-microsoft-switching-to-a-linux-kernel-that-emulates-windows

--
Cheers,                 "My hot flight attendant asked how I like my coffee.
Rick Moen               And that's when she told me:  'That's cute, honey, but