[conspire] XML Considered Harmful (was: Acronym expansion, taking pity on the general reader)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 25 12:24:24 PDT 2020

Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):

> I suspect that most people just don’t know, and in a lot of cases,
> those migrations won’t happen and the data will simply disappear. I
> did email Gruber about it, because they’re using the term Markdown for
> something that fundamentally isn’t Markdown.

IMO, it says a _lot_ about the WordPress user community that (by your
account) WordPress gratuitously broke data export, and didn't even
update documentation to note the change, and _yet_ the user community
isn't registering loud complaints -- or any complaints that I can find
-- on the global Internet.

I'm always wary of confirmation bias, and, as you know, my inclination
has been to _think_ that the WordPress crowd are the same knuckle-dragging
technophobes who also love hideous software contraptions like Drupal,
Plone, J2EE, and Node.js -- but I try not to assume that without
confirmatory evidence.

But WordPress's user community being apparently oblivious to this
breakage (that you say the developers blithely imposed onto everyone)
seems a lot like confirmatory evidence.