[conspire] XML Considered Harmful (was: Acronym expansion, taking pity on the general reader)

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Sep 25 14:09:45 PDT 2020

On 9/25/20 9:24 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):
>
>> I suspect that most people just don’t know, and in a lot of cases,
>> those migrations won’t happen and the data will simply disappear. I
>> did email Gruber about it, because they’re using the term Markdown for
>> something that fundamentally isn’t Markdown.
>
> IMO, it says a _lot_ about the WordPress user community that (by your
> account) WordPress gratuitously broke data export, and didn't even
> update documentation to note the change, and _yet_ the user community
> isn't registering loud complaints -- or any complaints that I can find
> -- on the global Internet.

I'm a bit surprised. I've been a drupal user and developer and I got fed
up with the sect of some core developer and by the never settling API.
I grew up with the assumption that a large part of WP success was due to
a smooth path of upgrade (core and modules).
In fact I think Drupal lost a big slice of market to WP exactly for this
reason.

> I'm always wary of confirmation bias, and, as you know, my inclination
> has been to _think_ that the WordPress crowd are the same knuckle-dragging
> technophobes who also love hideous software contraptions like Drupal,
> Plone, J2EE, and Node.js -- but I try not to assume that without
> confirmatory evidence.

Drupal started with a deep idiosyncrasy against OOP but starting with 8
it became crazy about all the buzzwords as dependency injection and what
not. It's still full of legacy code that from my POV makes OOP
techniques just a gimmick that often just get into the way.

But while it lost a lot of market share I think it is still second.

At least they promised they won't break the API regularly and they will
make the upgrade path smooth.

What's sad is there seems to be no alternative in that software space.

There are tools to set up vanity sites that revolve around node.js and
there are frameworks where you've to put in a lot of effort before you
can setup a CMS.

I thought there should be still large demand for CMS so there should be
some competition. And Aquia (the largest company behind Drupal) and
especially WordPress (the company) are reasonably large companies.
So I'd expect a better quality of code.

For similar reasons I'm a bit surprised Horde (webmail, calendar,
addressbook, ActiveSync support) that is still used by a lot of people
selling hosting and virtual servers is struggling to evolve.

But maybe my premises are wrong.

As a side note:

xml: it offers flexibility where no one is willing to use it. It has
Xpath that can be handy when your software/module is
responsible/interested in just a section of a file. I think I played
with xls transformation more than 20 years ago but they seems too
complicated. I'm not sure if anyone is still using xml/xls this way
unless for legacy reasons. Again Xpath can be handy and I'm not aware of
any equivalent.

json is mostly OK. Not too different from many way to serialize data
across many different languages but very well supported by most
languages. Native to JavaScript. JS should die together with Flash but
that's what we have.

yaml: less typed than json but way more fun to read and write. Solve
most of the problems.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net