[conspire] XML Considered Harmful (was: Acronym expansion, taking pity on the general reader)

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Sep 25 10:32:23 PDT 2020

On Sep 25, 2020, at 8:16 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Above is according to Deirdre's comments in person to me.  It seems like
> a really weird thing for the developers to do, and, oddly, I'm not
> seeing outraged comments about this all over the Web, so I'm not sure
> the narrative is complete, though I'm sure it accurately describes the
> vexing problem Deirdre encountered that ate her afternoon and evening.

It ate my MONTH. I have 20+ years of site to migrate, and bits of it are going away. (Not many.)

I suspect that most people just don’t know, and in a lot of cases, those migrations won’t happen and the data will simply disappear. I did email Gruber about it, because they’re using the term Markdown for something that fundamentally isn’t Markdown.

The other issue is fscking ruby annoyances I’d forgotten about, e.g., (when you have tzinfo 1.2.7 installed): https://twitter.com/deirdresm/status/1309245113034403841

Which is why I’ve decided to go off the reservation and fork the damn thing to use the current github gems.

Deirdre