[conspire] (forw) The fastest vaccine development ever

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 21 23:48:19 PDT 2020

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

[Salvation Army:]

> I appreciate that you have seen them do good works, but they do evil
> as well:
>
> 	https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/dont-donate-to-the-salvation-army/Content?oid=11182500
> 	https://medium.com/the-radical-center/why-you-shouldnt-donate-to-the-salvation-army-ever-f2cb2e43a2c
>
> They are a specific religious sect, and one that is pushing a radical
> right-wing anti-LGBTQ+ agenda.

Their nature as fundamentally a particularly pigheaded offshoot of
Methodism must, sadly, always be borne in mind.  I personally always
found them relatively tame as such things go, but I'm not gay or trans.
There were also apparently sex abuse scandals at several Salvation Army
boys' homes in NSW, Australia, but the organisation claims this was just
a problem with a few individuals without any backing or protection from
the organisation, which is possible.  (It's funny how often official
opposition to LGBT rights correlates with child sexual abuse scandals,
though.)

My late mother often talked about the baggage that various
social-services charities have, and why Salvation Army was among the
ones she would not donate to.  ISTR that she had a lingering affection
for the Catholics' Society of St Vincent de Paul, but I wouldn't swear
to that, at this late date.  I remember she had a relatively low opinion
of Goodwill Industries, considering management a bunch of swindlers,
siphoning off donation money.

Habitat for Humanity seems to remain an excellent bet.