[conspire] (forw) The fastest vaccine development ever

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue Sep 22 00:04:34 PDT 2020

On Sep 21, 2020, at 11:48 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):
>
> [Salvation Army:]
>
>> I appreciate that you have seen them do good works, but they do evil
>> as well:
>>
>>    https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/dont-donate-to-the-salvation-army/Content?oid=11182500
>>    https://medium.com/the-radical-center/why-you-shouldnt-donate-to-the-salvation-army-ever-f2cb2e43a2c
>>
>> They are a specific religious sect, and one that is pushing a radical
>> right-wing anti-LGBTQ+ agenda.
>
> Their nature as fundamentally a particularly pigheaded offshoot of
> Methodism must, sadly, always be borne in mind.  I personally always
> found them relatively tame as such things go, but I'm not gay or trans.
> There were also apparently sex abuse scandals at several Salvation Army
> boys' homes in NSW, Australia, but the organisation claims this was just
> a problem with a few individuals without any backing or protection from
> the organisation, which is possible.  (It's funny how often official
> opposition to LGBT rights correlates with child sexual abuse scandals,
> though.)

I do want to say that SA has done quite a lot of good in the AIDS care part of the LGBT world despite their slant, and even a lot of anti-SA LGBT activists will grudgingly admit this. Obviously doesn’t make up for the more in their eye, but as someone who lived in South Florida in the late 80s and saw men dying left and right, it was appreciated.

On your last sentence, though, we could go into entire volumes on the local Menlo Church thing (a local anti-LGBT schism off the Presbyterians that’s having their own child sex abuse scandal for having failed to filter out a pedophile, all the more ironic for having been brought to light by the minister’s trans son).

Deirdre