[conspire] (forw) [DNG] [OT] YouTube archivism targeted

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 27 14:24:59 PDT 2020

Quoting Carl Myers (cmyers at cmyers.org):

> I was a big fan of gitolite and very sad that it seems to be mostly
> dead and forgotten (at least, in my area, I work as an engineer
> writing and maintaining development tools at many different
> enterprises of varying sizes, currently Indeed.com).

I'm sorry to hear it's mostly dead and forgotten.  Truth to tell, I
haven't really looked at gitolite at all -- mostly because I recognise
the sad reality that, to grunts on the Internet, if something isn't
Web-visible, it doesn't exist.  Thus my having gone directly from noting
and applauding gitolite's highly contructive role to looking over Gitea
and Gogs.

I wonder:  There might be on the one hand the canonical gitolite at
gitolite.com, and on the other hand gitolite as adapted by kernel.org
IT folk?  That's just a wild surmise at the possibility; I really have
zero information.

I note that the canonical gitolite project is one guy, Sitaram Chamarty.
As is so often the case, it's all ridiculously shoestring, e.g., one
notices immediately that Sitaram has outsourced support and general
discussion to a Google Group, and, depressingly, the maintainer provides
only a GMail address.  (I'm not being critical; Sitaram presumably lacks
the time and energy to deal with all the modern annoyances of running
Internet MTA and MLM software.)

Major installations of gitoline, according to Sitaram:
o  kernel.org (as mentioned)
o  KDE project
o  Fedora Project
o  Gentoo Linux
o  Mageia Project

Anyway, I have hopes that, even if Sitaram goes, so to speak, into
hibernation for a long winter, the upstream is no longer crucial to the
health of the tool.  Also, it's a modest-in-scope enough tool that maybe
it can be reasonably regarded as 'done' rather than 'orphaned':  Cf.,
for example, procmail, which no longer has an upstream but happily
doesn't need one.

Here's something that makes me wince (though I should have realised
it from the explicit mention in your posting, Carl):  The source repo
for gitolite is on GitHub.  Oy!  https://github.com/sitaramc/gitolite

Changelog looks somewhat better than almost-dead at a quick glance
(but I could be wrong):
https://github.com/sitaramc/gitolite/blob/master/CHANGELOG