[conspire] FileZilla isn't a file manager (but you can use it as one) (was: FTP)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 17 22:04:40 PST 2020

> Then Norton/Midnight Commander was a pretty reasonable tool/utility
> for many circumstances.  But ... that was then.  About the only use
> case I could think for something like that these days, is if one was
> oddly stuck in such a highly limited environment, of if one really
> wanted the text/menu(ish) way of managing files like that.  And ...
> may well work under GUI now too ... or not, or so-so ...  been decades
> since I peeked at either of 'em....

Symantec Corporation apparently discontinued Norton Commander after the
release of v. 5.51 for MS-DOS, in 1998.  They _did_ keep alive a related
product for a while, Norton Desktop, that was graphical.  That lasted
until the early 2000s.

And of course it has a third-party afterlife.  The proprietary ones of
course pretty much came and went, because that's what proprietary
software does.  Midnight Commander / mc (under GPLv3) and other open
source workalikes are still around, because that's what open source
tends to do (as long as people care to maintain it).

Apparently there's a name for Norton Commander workalikes:  "orthodox
file manager'.  I'd never come across that moniker before, but there you
have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_manager#Orthodox_file_managers