[conspire] FileZilla isn't a file manager (but you can use it as one) (was: FTP)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 17 21:37:56 PST 2020

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: [conspire] FileZilla isn't a file manager (but you can use
> it as one) (was: FTP)
> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 13:27:40 -0800

> Duncan MacKinnon, I believe, is still a diehard user of 'mc' aka
> Midnight Commander, an open source clone of Norton Commander.  It
> has a text user interface.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander

Yes, once upon a time, they were comparatively good.  E.g. especially
back in the days when one may have been stuck on MS-DOS <~= 3.0 with
it's relative joke of a shell and not much else.  Then
Norton/Midnight Commander was a pretty reasonable tool/utility for
many circumstances.  But ... that was then.
About the only use case I could think for something like that these
days, is if one was oddly stuck in such a highly limited environment,
of if one really wanted the text/menu(ish) way of managing files like
that.  And ... may well work under GUI now too ... or not, or so-so ...
been decades since I peeked at either of 'em - haven't had need,
interest, or a scenario or operating environment that would lead towards
then generally being a good/handy solution (or part of a solution set).

> Like most longtime *ix users, I don't personally go for file managers.
> I juse use bash and friends (such as rsync as Deirdre and Michael
> mentioned).

Yep ... for the most part ... more on that else-post.