[conspire] "immunity" (COVID-19, ...) Re: Numbers racket

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue May 5 15:31:10 PDT 2020

> On May 5, 2020, at 15:11, Nick Moffitt <nick at zork.net> wrote:
>
> The accounts from the Mayflower settlers back to Europe told of a wonderland where the wilderness grows like orderly food-gardens.  These tales spread and grew in scope to the point where people wrote that pigs run around with forks already in their backs so you can take a bite at your leisure.
>
> But really, it was just a bunch of people not seeing the ruins of urban farm communities for what they once were.

In fairness to them, having been to a metric ton of grown over places that were once yards and/or gardens in various parts of the world: if there’s any serious amount of water and there are pioneer (e.g., birch) trees that can seed, it can stop looking like farmland from the road in 20-40 years.

I don’t have the energy to dig out a pic from Montserrat with a tree growing out of the second story of a house (not the first!), but that was one of the more bizarre things that stuck in my memory from my travels. That despite the fact that the environment was acidic enough to put holes in corrugated steel roofs.

Deirdre