[conspire] Fw: (forw) Re: Correction

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:40:07 PDT 2020

Dont forget, this whole thing is a democratic conspiracy perpetrated by
Nancy Pelosi.
Its true!  The whitehouse SAYS so!

("WHY?  Because WESAYSO!")

The Lieber Office tools are nice, but you have to know what to do before
you use them.

Im certain that anyone having had a stats class gets the algorythm for
these, but those without stats classes,
I dont see the method being taught in school.

Rick grew up in a place with top notch schools, as did a few others on this
list.
Many of us, however, were in schools where the teachers took the job
because it gave summers off.

Im pretty sure I have the followinbg wrong:
Given a 8digit passwd, the number of combinations are 8 to the power of
however many possibilities each digit can contain.
I screwed that up, right?

I ask this because Im told that the old 8 digit passwd, no matter how
random is too short now.
Im being told to use a phrase somewhere near 32 chars long.
I tried to calculate the number of permutations on 32 chars, only to
realize that I probably dont have it right.
(FINALLY the thread starts to wind back in the direction LINUX)

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 4:23 PM paulz at ieee.org <paulz at ieee.org> wrote:

> Just because the birthday problem was not taught in your school, it's no
> excuse for not being able to dig in, especially with all of the online
> resources available.  I'm sure everyone on this email has had a problem
> they had to solve, and no clue where to begin, but you start trying things
> or reading man pages or Google using the error string or ...
>
> It took less than a minute with LibreOffice to do the computations.
>
> Column 1 is just integer index.
> Column 2 is one less than the number above.
> Column 3 the probability from the previous line * the value in column 2 /
> 365
>

> 1 365 1.000
> 2 364 0.997
> 3 363 0.992
> 4 362 0.984
> 5 361 0.973
> 6 360 0.960
> 7 359 0.944
> 8 358 0.926
> 9 357 0.905
> 10 356 0.883
> 11 355 0.859
> 12 354 0.833
> 13 353 0.806
> 14 352 0.777
> 15 351 0.747
> 16 350 0.716
> 17 349 0.685
> 18 348 0.653
> 19 347 0.621
> 20 346 0.589
> 21 345 0.556
> 22 344 0.524
> 23 343 0.493
> 24 342 0.462
>

> Personally, think the pond scum problem is a simple, but good example of
> non-linear growth.
>
> As for the idiot-in-chief, he keeps talking about how great American's
> are.  Somehow the number of cases in the US is greater than those in China.
> And NYC is greater than all of CA.  The facts should speak for themselves,
> except that many politicians find facts rather inconvenient.
>

> On Saturday, March 28, 2020, 3:30:16 PM PDT, Rick Moen <
> rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>

> Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):
>
> ['Birthday Paradox':]
>
> > For starters, most people (Including me) have NO IDEA how to START on
> > this problem.

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."