[conspire] Fw: (forw) Re: Correction

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sat Mar 28 16:21:49 PDT 2020

Just because the birthday problem was not taught in your school, it's no excuse for not being able to dig in, especially with all of the online resources available.  I'm sure everyone on this email has had a problem they had to solve, and no clue where to begin, but you start trying things or reading man pages or Google using the error string or ...

It took less than a minute with LibreOffice to do the computations.

Column 1 is just integer index.Column 2 is one less than the number above.Column 3 the probability from the previous line * the value in column 2 / 365

| 1 | 365 | 1.000 |
| 2 | 364 | 0.997 |
| 3 | 363 | 0.992 |
| 4 | 362 | 0.984 |
| 5 | 361 | 0.973 |
| 6 | 360 | 0.960 |
| 7 | 359 | 0.944 |
| 8 | 358 | 0.926 |
| 9 | 357 | 0.905 |
| 10 | 356 | 0.883 |
| 11 | 355 | 0.859 |
| 12 | 354 | 0.833 |
| 13 | 353 | 0.806 |
| 14 | 352 | 0.777 |
| 15 | 351 | 0.747 |
| 16 | 350 | 0.716 |
| 17 | 349 | 0.685 |
| 18 | 348 | 0.653 |
| 19 | 347 | 0.621 |
| 20 | 346 | 0.589 |
| 21 | 345 | 0.556 |
| 22 | 344 | 0.524 |
| 23 | 343 | 0.493 |
| 24 | 342 | 0.462 |

Personally, think the pond scum problem is a simple, but good example of non-linear growth.
As for the idiot-in-chief, he keeps talking about how great American's are.  Somehow the number of cases in the US is greater than those in China. And NYC is greater than all of CA.  The facts should speak for themselves, except that many politicians find facts rather inconvenient.

    On Saturday, March 28, 2020, 3:30:16 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):

['Birthday Paradox':]