[conspire] Public Surveys

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon Jun 8 13:07:36 PDT 2020

> On Jun 8, 2020, at 09:26, Nick Moffitt <nick at zork.net> wrote:
>
> I find this chart extraordinary:
>
> https://s.crunch.io/widget/index.html#/ds/f6faf2ab835c42758bfeb4a96cd42719/row/6BGixXs7gm5Wt5hqAIdSaZ000024/column/1kUCwrdvCGWJYQj27lfohm000002?viz=horizontalStackedBarPlot&cp=percent&dp=2&grp=stack

It is extraordinary. I have a major quibble with the visualization of it, in that they could have re-sized the vertical categories to reflect the size of those categories, but chose not to. This gives a false sense of the true area, but if you look at the chart data with the table view instead, it’s different. Grr. Still remarkable, just different.

(it’s annoyingly hard to get right across browsers, unfortunately, especially after data updates.)

For those who didn’t really follow the social media flashpoints, it wasn’t actually Floyd’s death that really set things off first, it was this particular Karen [1] named Amy Cooper who called 911 (!) because Christian Cooper asked her to leash her dog in an area of Central Park (Ramble) where that was required. (Because it was for bird watching.) He videotaped it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/26/amy-cooper-central-park/

(Note: animal abuse, she’s choking her dog, implying that he is doing it, so if you watch the video, be prepared for it. Also, she’d previously “saved” the dog from choking in a completely separate episode. So.)

So that had gone viral already that day.

George Floyd was later the same day. So it was like set-and-match.

I see a Karen video/story every day or two. Generally they’re not remarkable, but the one that trended yesterday was from Phoenix, where a Karen walked into a gas station, pretended (!) to be a manager, and told a hispanic/indigenous woman that she would have to leave the US and couldn’t be served there.

https://twitter.com/DyamiThomas/status/1269652693124972550

Karen shoves the woman, who smacks back. Self defense as far as I’m concerned. This Karen, who works at a law office (owned by her husband), has been banned at Shell stations nationwide.

https://scallywagandvagabond.com/2020/06/tamara-harrian-glendale-arizona-karen-slapped-karina-rodriguez-phoenix-gas-station/

So, yeah, welcome to America, Ruben, thank you for being part of the problem.

Deirdre

[1] A Karen is someone (of any race or gender, but stereotypically a white woman) who will use her standing against a person of color to a) call 911 or police; b) talk to a manager; c) get a person denied service.