[conspire] Public Surveys

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Mon Jun 8 17:41:50 PDT 2020

On 08Jun2020 01:07pm (-0700), Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> > On Jun 8, 2020, at 09:26, Nick Moffitt <nick at zork.net> wrote:
> >
> > I find this chart extraordinary:
> >
> > https://s.crunch.io/widget/index.html#/ds/f6faf2ab835c42758bfeb4a96cd42719/row/6BGixXs7gm5Wt5hqAIdSaZ000024/column/1kUCwrdvCGWJYQj27lfohm000002?viz=horizontalStackedBarPlot&cp=percent&dp=2&grp=stack
>
> It is extraordinary. I have a major quibble with the visualization of it, in that they could have re-sized the vertical categories to reflect the size of those categories, but chose not to. This gives a false sense of the true area, but if you look at the chart data with the table view instead, it’s different. Grr. Still remarkable, just different.

That was a choice I made for the point I was making.  YOu can view your preferred version here:

https://s.crunch.io/widget/index.html#/ds/f6faf2ab835c42758bfeb4a96cd42719/row/6BGixXs7gm5Wt5hqAIdSaZ000024/column/1kUCwrdvCGWJYQj27lfohm000002?viz=horizontalStackedBarPlot&cp=count&dp=1&grp=stack

> [1] A Karen is someone (of any race or gender, but stereotypically a white woman) who will use her standing against a person of color to a) call 911 or police; b) talk to a manager; c) get a person denied service.

When people (some actually named Karen) complained about the term on Twitter, someone pointed out that there was an area of Kenya named after Karen Blixen, and there is a museum there that is full of all sorts of exhibits celebrating what a fantastic coloniser she was:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Blixen_Museum_(Kenya)