[conspire] Netiquite, wc(1), ... Re: Public Surveys

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 9 20:22:01 PDT 2020

> Subject: Re: [conspire] Public Surveys
> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 18:26:23 +0000

> On 08Jun2020 12:43pm (-0400), Ruben Safir wrote:
>> Nah
>
> Ruben, was that really worth the time it took for both you and all of us?

Yeah, I was gonna say, Netiquite - majorly broken in multiple ways in
one single post.

Not only the way too long "signature" section ...
wc(1) tells us:
       13      76     558 (subtract 2 lines/characters if you don't
count the blank lines, and I didn't count the -- line itself, nor
any empty lines before or after the text lines in the signature
section)

But we also have ratio of new to referenced included content from
earlier posting ...
otherwise known as "value add" (little that).  ;-)
Let's see ...
added content - even if we don't count all the highly redundant sig
stuff ... 3 - yes a grand total of 3 isgraph ASCII characters.
Relative to the quoted content ...  (and not counting leading "> "
used for quoting) wc(1) gives us:
      14     179    1310
If I strip that to just isgraph characters, that's 1121.
So, if we look at our added to repeated inclusion isgraph
ratio, we have 3/1121 ... that's less than 0.27%.  Wow.
So, ... I think I might call that less than 1% value add.
Rounded to nearest whole %, 0% value add.