[conspire] Federales in Portland?

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Mon Jul 20 10:33:39 PDT 2020

 Ruben,
One thing I like about Conspire is that it is not an echo box.   Very different opinions are exchanged.
The way my contact explained the situation in Portland is:
There is a particular park in downtown Portland that occupies several blocks.  Across the street on one side is the Multnomah County Courthouse.  Across the street on the other side is a federal courthouse and other federal office buildings.  For several weeks there have been daily protestors in the park.  They were often loud, but generally peaceful.  The biggest offense was some graffiti on the plywood covering up nearby stores which were closed because of the virus (not the protestors).

Mostly the demonstrators were seeking redress of grievances with the local police.  It was in the local news everyday.

At the end of last week, suddenly people were being "kidnapped" by men in unmarked uniforms driving unmarked cars and not telling their victims why they were  being detained.

It is the total lack "due process" that I find most disturbing.
Only then did the national news cover the story. Naturally they used the most exciting clips they could find.  Meanwhile there was an announcement by the chief Toddler that he was fixing the problems in Portland.  Meanwhile the mayor blamed the Federales for escalating the situation and injuring several of the protestors.

Paul