[conspire] Update for BALE

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 24 23:47:58 PST 2020

> Pi Day ... not "python gathering".  Read the (relevant) list posts,
> etc.  https://berkeleylug.com/

As of this evening, I now have regained the ability to do semi-casual
edits / additions / deletions to BALE.  (I locally compiled a set of
current PHP source code, after noting that the PHP interpreter includes
an internal Web server.  Whenever I want to do BALE edits, I can start
an instance of /usr/local/bin/php from the command line, telling it to
bind to a high-numbered port, and pre-position a copy of Adminer as
./index.php .)

After that work, I've just done a few hours catching up on BALE
maintenance, which isn't yet rolled out to the static HTML, but is
updated in the MySQL tables awaiting rollout.  And, before doing so, I
went back looking for 'BALE update' mails, and found among others this
one.  So, BerkeleyLUG Pi Days.  List on BALE as a regular recurring
event?

Normally, I would expect a recurring LUG event to have a Web page, but
there isn't one on berkeleylug.com or elsewhere for Pi Day events.  They
get announced by Thomas on the BerkeleyLUG Google Group, like this:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/berkeleylug/d6d-ZL2iQsA  So, I
ask myself, is there at least a regular date formula?  No, there isn't.
(But also see revisiting this issue, below.)  So, basically, I can't
template event entries for these events in the database at all.

Which leaves:  Add individual Pi Days as one-off events to BALE as
Thomas declares them on the BerkeleyLUG Google Group.  (This requires
using Adminer to add a new row to the Events MySQL table, then running
'/usr/bin/php5 /var/www/bale/index.inc > /var/www/bale/index.html' to
regenerate the flat HTML page served to the public.

I could do that.  There are no Pi Days currently scheduled, but we'll
see how that works out when Thomas declares them.

Texx wrote:

>> First sunday of the month from noon to 3pm at the blue Door Cafe 2244
>> Bancroft Berkeley.

Is it, though?  Where is that written?

I see in archives of the BerkeleyLUG Google Group that they've tended
during 2019 to be 1st Sundays, except for the One-off Pi Day and for
months when there was none -- but I'm a bit unclear on the plans.
(Suggestion:  If it _is_ going to be a regular event, be it of
BerkeleyLUG or a loosely related SIG, it would be really nice if there
were a Web page for reference.)