[conspire] Update for BALE

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 20:59:27 PST 2020

Re LUGs outliving usefulness.
What we used to get out of lugs, is now in online forums (including this
one).
The amount of in person benefit, not so much.
There are a few exceptions.
Kim got a lot out of in person than most people and it appears to have
worked.

Re Python:
I dont have the buck$ for Udemy, but the Youtube thing I took a glance at
and will eventually
sit through it.

That guy isnt trying to turn it into some schlocky amateur TV show like
most of Youtube and
Im reassured.

Its refreshing since much of what Ive seen on Youtube is "Hole mah beer in
watch dis" type Jakass vids, or "Hi my name is Troy Mac Clure and you might
know me from 'Hole mah beer, in watch dis!' and "Watch dis if yahll will
hole mah beer' "

I am trolling through an exercise based site or two first, and Ill use that
Youtube one as a reenforcement after my exercises.
Im hoping it will help.

I believe one of the reasons online replaced in person LUGs is that the
LUGs dropped the ball.

Keep in mind, that I do not consider Cabal to be a LUG as it never claimed
to be a LUG.

The LUGs, on the other hand, I hold to their stated mission.
Im railing against LUGs claiming to be a LUG and not walking the talk.
Im annoyed by the false advertising.

If you are going to be a "Go out to dinner and stare into your laptop all
night group",
dont claim to be a user group, tell the truth and advertise yourself as  a
dinner group.

So yah, Im listening, and Im paying better attention than you think.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 12:01 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):
>
> > I didnt actually know how it worked.
> > I presumed (I now know falsely) that it digested a text file and inserted
> > dates it generated on the fly.
>
> That could be done.  In retrospect, I deeply question the need for a
> database store for this application, in the first place.  Seems to me,
> such templating can (as you say) be done just as well with flat text
> files as back-end storage.
>
> Where you need a database is where there will be possible contention /
> concurrency issues (doesn't apply) or where you need to keep an ongoing
> record (not needed).  The MySQL 'Events' table holds hundreds and
> hundreds of rows of BALE events going back years, plus events for the
> next three months in the future (generated each month by that
> NewMonth.py script).  Which is nice, I guess, but not anything I
> actually need.
>
> At the time this LAMP application (autobale) replaced my previous
> static, manually edited plain-HTML page, the new page was actually
> completely dynamic -- i.e., each page load caused the PHP interpreter to
> make a thundering herd of MySQL queries to find all entries in the
> Events table for this month and the next month, plus more queries to
> get from MySQL the descriptions of all the groups.  The PHP program then
> gussied up that row data for HTML presentation and delivered the
> finished page to the user.  And does this  Every.  Single.  Time.  the
> page loads.
>
> A long time later, I got around to questioning that design:  Wait, the
> page get assembled from scratch with each and every page load?  But,
> that's crazy, because it's the same page all month long, and changes
> only when the month changes.  That was when I converted the Python and
> PHP from dynamic per-load operation to a cron job that ran exactly once
> on the first of each month.
>
> In turn, that was part of what enabled me to eliminate the need for
> mod_php running in my Web server, which I no longer consider an
> acceptable security risk.
>
> But if I were writing a reimplementation from scratch, I'd also lose the
> database, as a totally unnecessary complication.
>

> > I dont know enough to teach Python, WHY do you THINK Im ASKING for
> someone
> > to teach it?
>
> Deirdre handed you a great gift, in her recent posting about which
> online resources, in particular her tips about Udemy's Python developer
> course, and about freeCodingCamp.org’s 4-1/2 hour Python class on
> YouTube.
>
> The question is:  Are you smart enough to accept that gift?
> http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2020-January/010020.html
>

> > Regarding organizing it, I dont know anyone to teach it, (see above!)
>
> Maybe you aren't.
>
> > It seems the Lugs have outlived their original charter.
>
> It seems you might not be listening.

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."