[conspire] Update for BALE

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Jan 8 12:24:03 PST 2020

On Jan 8, 2020, at 12:00, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):
>
>> I didnt actually know how it worked.
>> I presumed (I now know falsely) that it digested a text file and inserted
>> dates it generated on the fly.
>
> That could be done.  In retrospect, I deeply question the need for a
> database store for this application, in the first place.  Seems to me,
> such templating can (as you say) be done just as well with flat text
> files as back-end storage.

I wrote the code back when I was trying to get a PHP job like 15 yrs ago.

My current plan is actually to switch it to Jekyll/YAML (JSON being more verbose but more resume worthy), I’ve just been working on other things. Jekyll is a pretty simple ruby app that generates a static site.

https://jekyllrb.com <https://jekyllrb.com/>

So you’d basically have a cron job that ran at some point in the month to generate another month’s events. I just haven’t figured out exactly how to do one transition when an event’s been edited. Yet.

Essentially, Jekyll was a response to the overbloat of both WordPress and Ruby on Rails (et al) for smaller web sites. I may actually switch my smaller sites to Jekyll eventually.

Since I (for my sins) am currently working on a Django project (with *cough* over 100 db tables for a freakin’ game data tracker), I welcome the leanness.

Deirdre