[conspire] Update for BALE

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon Jan 6 12:32:36 PST 2020

On Jan 6, 2020, at 12:09, Tony Godshall <tony at of.net> wrote:

>> An actual monthly Python tutorial would actually  be a service to the community.
>> Not as show up and keep your nose in your laptop like you could do at home.
>> An ACTUAL Python class!
>> A loth of the Python groups have people talk about what they did with Python,
>> but NONE of them go into "This is how you code in Python"
>
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/PyClass

For those who haven’t made the leap, that’s because a lot of classes about learning programming have moved to two different sorts of platforms:

1. YouTube. E.g., freeCodingCamp.org’s 4-1/2 hour (!) python class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfscVS0vtbw <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfscVS0vtbw>

2. Udemy, which is a mix of videos and text, e.g.: https://www.udemy.com/course/python-the-complete-python-developer-course/ <https://www.udemy.com/course/python-the-complete-python-developer-course/>

There are Udemy competitors, but no one offers the same bang for the buck. I’ve looked.

I’ve been through a 200-hour (!) Swift class on Udemy and it really helped. For me, while I find videos annoying with the amount of time it takes vs. reading, I retain the information better.

It sure beats my old tried-and-true method of do what you can until you get stuck, then hunt around on Stack Overflow for an answer in between searching documentation.

Deirdre