[conspire] When to get a covid test, brains, and a weird case, and a cardiology vs. immunology joke

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri Aug 7 02:55:31 PDT 2020

On Fri, Aug 07, 2020 at 11:27:47AM +0200, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On 8/7/20 10:41 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> >You keep reiterating the 'docs' mailing list mantra, the one I got so
> >tired of you guys blitzing each other with many times each day that I
> >muted the entire mailing list's delivery stream, that 'There are only
> >two possible ways forward, either herd immunity or a vaccine', and
> >keep missing the obvious point -- even though I keep mentioning it --
> >that New Zealand had neither herd immunity nor a vaccine, yet stomped
> >the infection completely out, nationwide.
> >
> >Maybe the reason you 'docs' regulars (who by a _totally_ strange
> >coincidence seem to all be Trumpistas) keep reiterating the mantra
> >endlessly is so you can avoid thinking about the third obvious route
> >forward:  competence.
>

> Can somebody explain what heard immunity without a vaccine really means?
>
> Waiting people die and get ill, just slower? or faster?

If you go to slow you won't reach hurd immunity and your are then poised
for a disaster down the line.

The virus will mutate and immunity might be time dependent.

> Slower is better than nothing since it won't put too much stress on
> health care infrastructure and will probably lower death rates
> etc...
>
> But considering that at this point there is no reliable scientific
> evidence that the virus is "weakening", up to my understanding "herd
> immunity" is just another way to say: let it be.
>
> If you check the death rates of the most hit zones (eg. Bergamo
> where you could have reasonably reliable data and a reasonably good
> health care system), and you project them worldwide you're talking
> about millions of dead people.
>
> Considering that worldwide there are at least 6M active cases and
> there are countries that seem not to care, it's a bit annoying to
> keep quarantining your country because someone else didn't do its
> homework properly and then complain about China.
>
> Especially as Rick says it has been proved by several countries
> there is a better working strategy.

Rick is incorrect  on this issue.  This virus is spread world wide
and case after case where they thought they had it containted, it became
uncontained.  His example of New Zealand is conviently in the middle of
the Pacific Ocean on an Island and they are desperatly waiting for a
vaccine before the virus escapes containment there.

It spreads to Humans, Cats, Rodents and Dogs as a short list.

The tracking solutions being proposed are a greater threat to society
than the Virus, so that is where we are.  There is no Gan Eden awaiting
us at the end of a lockdown.  This virus is going to do what every other
respiratary virus has done of this type has done, and will linger about
for about 3 years until human hurd immunity developes, either naturally
or artificially.