[conspire] Let's look at fluview

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Thu Apr 30 15:39:22 PDT 2020

 Someone on a different email group wrote:

> the "proper" way (to get maximal herd immunity as soon as possible - ref Sweden)> is to strictly quarantine all "at risk" (old, infirm, pre-existing conditions) and let the
> young people continue to get the "virus" and develop antibodies, usually with no
> ill-effects. then after a few weeks the virus dies out, and we all go back to work.
>The way it was done stretches out the agony and does not really solve the problem
>until the herd immunity develops.
Then I read on NPR that a town in Sweden has spread chicken manure to prevent crowds from celebrating Walpurgis Night:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52481096
Another article on BBC says 50% of deaths in Sweden are older people.

Yet a different story on KQED radio referenced Lebanon.  Lebanon has about the same population as Mass.  It has had 1/10th the number of cases and only a couple dozen deaths.  This is because Lebanon put in strict quarantine enforcement early.
Anyway, I'd like opinions from someone more familiar with Scandinavia.