[conspire] "immunity" (COVID-19, ...) Re: Numbers racket

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 29 19:23:42 PDT 2020

> From: "Ruben Safir" <ruben at mrbrklyn.com>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] Numbers racket
> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 17:08:43 -0400

> On 4/27/20 5:55 AM, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
>> Exactly, and that assumes that there’s immunity, which we still do not
>> know.
>
> When there is no immunity the patients die.  That is what happens with
> HIV.  There is no immunity and the patients never overcome the disease
> and they die.  Most patients take this one and never get more than a
> cold.  That is the defintion of immunity.

I think you, uh, "oversimplify" to the point of significantly inaccuracy
and significantly/substantially misleading.

Immunity / immune response, not that simple.  Also, many of the COVID-19
specifics regarding that are still unknown or not very well know.

A few points (and any medical experts feel free to correct me on these
points):

o immunity and immune responses - after surviving a contagious disease,
   typically the body has some limited immunity to that particular disease
   for some limited period of time.  Typically from days to ten(s) of
   years or more.  Not all diseases and immune responses work like that.
   There are many (and fairly common) exceptions, where after recovering
   there's little to no protection/immunity from reinfection from exact
   same disease/pathogen again.  (I recall hearing several examples, AIDs
   being just one such example ... body builds anti-bodies, but not
   immunity (with possibly some very rare exceptions? ... I heard several
   other common examples, but forget specifically what they were).
   Also, the (limited) immunity isn't necessarily that strong immediately
   after recovery (somewhat similar to vaccine?) - it may take additional
   time - e.g. day(s) to weeks or more, for the (relative) immunity to build
   to be particularly strong and thwart most common reexposures to same
   pathogen.

o immune system in many ways is far from perfect.  There can also be factors
   such as viral load.  There may be some limited immunity, but if the
   exposure is above some certain level, the immune system won't be able to
   respond sufficiently fast and well, and will be overwhelmed and become
   infected.  Though also, if I'm not mistaken, with some diseases, at
   sufficiently low exposures, general immune responses will effectively
   deal with it, without having any immune response specific to that one
   particular pathogen ... but I believe that's generally only at rather to
   very low loads of pathogen ... and I'm guessing probably also doesn't
   apply to all (or even necessarily most?) diseases.

o COVID-19 - "immunity" - mostly quite an unknown at this point in time,
   but certainly wants for developments/information.  I think there's lots
   of guesses - including educated guesses, and maybe some probabilities
   and early bits that might look promising - but I think thus far we mostly
   lack sufficient hard data to say much (if anything?) particularly
   conclusively and assuredly regarding COVID-19, recovery, and immunity.
   But like I way, watch this space.  :-)  Hopefully well know quite a bit
   more in the coming weeks/month(s)/year(s).

Caveat: I am not a doctor (nor immunologist) nor do I play one on TV