[conspire] anything related to electricity that can be measured with a protractor

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sat Apr 25 13:51:00 PDT 2020

 Michael,
Thank you for clarifying my thinking.  I have been around solid state electronics so much I forgot about rotating machines.  Yes we could arrange a strobe light to flash at a particular time in a sinewave voltage and match that with the shaft and protractor.
I especially like the ganged synchronous motor example.
Sound waves, well there is no shaft with a physical angle. After having proven that the math of sine waves works for rotating machines and demonstrating sounds with same wave shape, the concept of angle can be directly applied.  I could imagine a device that had a knob that controlled electrical angle.  The most tricky part would be finding a control that has 360 degrees of rotation.  Not that that is impossible, just that most control devices don't have that less than a full circle of rotation.
Paul

    On Saturday, April 25, 2020, 10:43:23 AM PDT, Michael Paoli <michael.paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:

 > From: "paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] Trig. - SAS and ASA,    but no ... Re:
> Password permutations (was: Correction)
> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 17:16:47 +0000 (UTC)

> problems that didn't have anything to do with triangles.  I'm still
> trying to find anything related to electricity that can be measured
> with a protractor.

Hmmm, how 'bout with synchronous motor, variable phase delay, and strobe?
How 'bout ye oldeish engine tuning kit, and strobe, and measuring
dwell angle ... now, typically would use a protractor to measure that,
but ... uhm could (... sort'a ... wouldn't be as accurate, though).
How 'bout ganged synchronous motors - translates angle from one matching
to the other ... could always measure that angle with a protractor.
I'm sure lots of phase delay + strobe with circular motions, one
could use protractor to measure.
Sound oscillations and phase delay ... suitably set up with control
on the phase delay on control dial, so it was degree-for-degree match,
could measure that with protractor.

Okay, sure, maybe not most common that a protractor could/would be used,
but those examples aren't exactly horribly contrived.  There are probably
some more practical (though maybe obscure/rare) where a protractor would
or might be (more) commonly used, and related to electricity.

I'm thinking also there are probably astronomy/navigation areas involving
electronics where a protractor could possibly be used ... but probably
more commonly (much) more accurate means of measurements are are used,
but still, degrees and angles and such.  Heck, GPS ... but way more
accurate than protractor.  ;-)  Accurate enough one ought take
relativistic bits into account for particularly good accuracy.