[conspire] anything related to electricity that can be measured with a protractor

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Apr 25 10:41:12 PDT 2020

> From: "paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] Trig. - SAS and ASA,	but no ... Re:
> Password permutations (was: Correction)
> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 17:16:47 +0000 (UTC)

> problems that didn't have anything to do with triangles.  I'm still
> trying to find anything related to electricity that can be measured
> with a protractor.

Hmmm, how 'bout with synchronous motor, variable phase delay, and strobe?
How 'bout ye oldeish engine tuning kit, and strobe, and measuring
dwell angle ... now, typically would use a protractor to measure that,
but ... uhm could (... sort'a ... wouldn't be as accurate, though).
How 'bout ganged synchronous motors - translates angle from one matching
to the other ... could always measure that angle with a protractor.
I'm sure lots of phase delay + strobe with circular motions, one
could use protractor to measure.
Sound oscillations and phase delay ... suitably set up with control
on the phase delay on control dial, so it was degree-for-degree match,
could measure that with protractor.

Okay, sure, maybe not most common that a protractor could/would be used,
but those examples aren't exactly horribly contrived.  There are probably
some more practical (though maybe obscure/rare) where a protractor would
or might be (more) commonly used, and related to electricity.

I'm thinking also there are probably astronomy/navigation areas involving
electronics where a protractor could possibly be used ... but probably
more commonly (much) more accurate means of measurements are are used,
but still, degrees and angles and such.  Heck, GPS ... but way more
accurate than protractor.  ;-)  Accurate enough one ought take
relativistic bits into account for particularly good accuracy.