[conspire] slovenly writing (punctuation, capitalization, ...) (was: Re: Fade and open Neutrals)

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Fri Apr 17 15:13:27 PDT 2020

 We are all a bit stircrazy from staying at home.  There's a lot more traffic on some email lists than "normal".  Several people, myself included, have responded too quickly.  Here are a couple of suggestions.

Carefully read theentire thread of conversation. On multiple occasions someone elsehas already answered your question.

Type messages into a file. Set it aside for a couple of hours. Thenre-read the entire thread and consider what you have to contribute tothe discussion.  Or just proof read your message before sending.

    On Friday, April 17, 2020, 12:19:09 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> I would argue that if it is that difficult for you to read, then
> perhaps you have a reading comprehension problem of some sort.

Distinguo:  Personally (and not speaking for Michael, to whom you
replied directly), I wasn't saying things like 'dont' and 'tv' are
difficult to read, just annoying and suggestive of the poster not caring
to write with _even_ the degree of care that is low-normal on mailing
lists.

Obviously, nobody is expected to write perfect sonnet-like compositions
for mailing lists.  It'd be too damned much work, for starters.
However, there are degrees to these things, and very often not caring
about such details of writing correlates strongly with not caring about
details of thinking -- e.g., a history of posting drivel to a mailing
list so that other people will serve free of charge as the poster's
'Snopes' and debunk it, outsourcing the job of thinking.