[conspire] Second prize is *two weeks* in New Jersey

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:05:42 PDT 2020

Uh, South Jersey along the Delaware isnt bad.
Theres an old canal that parallels the river, some of the locks actually
still work.
Years ago, when I had hair down to my butt, and it was still blonde, UNIX
did not yet have a windowing system,
I was at Treasure Island Scout Camp.

We got some innertubes and tried out the canal.  I got pretty good at
operating the locks.
Someone had to get out of the water, operate the lock while everyone else
stayed in their tubes.
I dont remember how many miles we covered that day.
Had we shot the river in tubes, we would have had to keep getting out where
the water ran shallow over rocks,
but the canal let us stay in out tubes except for me to get out and operate
the locks.

We had to make a coin phone call for someone to come get us.
Trucked back up to camp, we stood on the boat dock on the river.
Picked up the phone on the dock and the "bookie ring down circuit"
connected us to camp on the island
(Actually several islands connected by bridges)
The barge came across ther river to bring us back to camp.
We arrived at the dock on the camp island and a very tall black college
student stoof there in dress uniform with an extremely short
white kid at his side.

Greetings!  I am Mr Rork, and this is Tatoo.  I trust you enjoyed your
trip?  Welcome back to Treasure Island!"

Seriously, we werent that far from Philly, but the scenery was exquisite!

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 8:32 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):
>
> > Elise is a COBOL person !
>
> Run away, Elise.  Run away!
>
> > Interestingly enough, NJ is seeking VOLUNTEER COBOL people.
> > They want their system fixed and DONT want to PAY for it.
> >
> > Suck rocks NJ!
>
> Gov. Murphy did use the term 'volunteer', and apparently they would love
> to get expert help for free (which would frankly scare me, in their
> shoes), but I suspect the real help they hire will get the green stuff.
> Apparently, one can inquire here:  https://forms.business.nj.gov/tech/
>
> FWIW, I remain fond of the prettier 80% of New Jersey, which is (with
> rare exceptions) everywhere except in the state for urban centres next
> to NYC and Philly.  But I sure wouldn't want to visit now, thanks.
>
> (I was _going_ to visit central NJ this summer for my first college
> reunion ever, but..., sorry, event got smashed to tiny bits.)

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."