[conspire] Second prize is *two weeks* in New Jersey

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 14 21:46:47 PDT 2020

Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):

> Uh, South Jersey along the Delaware isnt bad.
> Theres an old canal that parallels the river, some of the locks actually
> still work.
[...]
> Seriously, we werent that far from Philly, but the scenery was exquisite!

You almost certainly mean the Delaware and Raritan Canal (dug, mostly by
hand, 1830-1834).  Part of it runs right past Lake Carnegie at
Princeton, and I know it well.  58 km of the main canal still exists and
is navigable, as is 35 km of the 'feeder' canal that supplies water from
the Delaware River somewhere near the north end of Trenton, flowing
northwards to the end of the canal at New Brunswick on the Raritan
River.

13 km of the main canal was lost to urbanisation at the south (Trenton)
end in the 1950s; it wes originally 71 km.

The D&R Canal was, of course, not originally intended to be pretty, but
rather to eliminate 150 of treacherous ocean transport for freight
moving between Philadelphia and NYC, particularly anthracite coal.

> I dont remember how many miles we covered that day.

'Miles', eh?  (Oh, right.  That was 20th Century.)