[conspire] Big estates

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sun Feb 17 11:38:16 PST 2019

On some past occasions we have talked about Filoli.  With the rainy days, I have been going through my overcrowded book shelves.

Two books about the Bay Area mentioned other manors built in the same era.  One was Ralston, now part of College of Notre Dame in Belmont.
What I hadn't realized before was that there was more than just people with lots of money from gold mines, banks or rail roads.  The 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition was a catalyst.  The 1% of the 1% of San Francisco needed to have appropriate places to host private parties for the visiting royalty from Europe or the old-money from the East Coast.