[conspire] Big estates

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:00:43 PST 2019

There was also the spanish revival style Jacklin Etsate in Woodside.
Besides the grounds, there was the music building, complete with an Aolian
Skinner pipe organ and a roller player for it.

It eventually came up for sale and into Steve Jobs hands.
His plans were to level the site and build a japanese style mansion on the
site.
When thwarted by the landmark comission, he removed the doors and windown
and allowed the weather to destroy the building.
I believe he finally got permission to demolish the ruin that he created.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 11:40 AM paulz at ieee.org <paulz at ieee.org> wrote:

> On some past occasions we have talked about Filoli.  With the rainy days,
> I have been going through my overcrowded book shelves.
>
> Two books about the Bay Area mentioned other manors built in the same
> era.  One was Ralston, now part of College of Notre Dame in Belmont.
>
> What I hadn't realized before was that there was more than just people
> with lots of money from gold mines, banks or rail roads.  The 1915
> Panama-Pacific International Exposition was a catalyst.  The 1% of the 1%
> of San Francisco needed to have appropriate places to host private parties
> for the visiting royalty from Europe or the old-money from the East Coast.

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."