[conspire] (forw) HaveIBeenPwned.com (was: Safer Browsing) (personal info. & recruiters)

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 23:18:16 PDT 2019

The automated HR systems, require a birthdate and portion of a SS# that
gets mixed with your name so that they know WHICH "Jim Shooze" a given
candidate is.
If you refuse, the recruiter wont submit you.

The trick is that they REALLY need ANY date and Any 3 to 5 digit number.

I actually dont have a problem giving ATT part of my SS# to be submitted.
I DO have a problem giving it to "Andrew Smith" whos REAL name is Gupta,
and while he SWEARS he is in Wyoming, hes really in Hyderabad with a leases
DID trunk.

I actually TOLD someone with a US recruiter today that if I got an offer, I
would need to give them new data, and he was good with it and he understood.

Kim hasnt neen in this part of the industry yet.
Right now shes probably comparing me to Mengele.
After shes been through a couple recruiting cycles, she may understand just
how bad this part of the industry is.

I really must hand it to them.
The Indians and the Pakistanis have really mastered the whole white slavery
thing quite well.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:02 AM Michael Paoli <
Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> > From: Texx <texxgadget at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [conspire] (forw) HaveIBeenPwned.com (was: Safer Browsing)
> > Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 00:45:00 -0700
>
> > Some time back, I mentioned that Id stopped giving the recruiters ANY
> part
> > of my SS#
> > I admitted to having foolishly continuing to give my real birth day and
> > month.
>
> Ya know, with some slight exceptions, I don't think I've *ever* given
> recruiter/agency my SSN, or my birthday or birth date information.
> The slight (and typically) (more-or-less) exceptions that I'm aware of?
> When there's an offer (/contingent offer) on the table
> and I've accepted and:
>
> they "need" it for background check (sometimes the agency will directly
> do it themselves, or will do it for their customer, or their customer will
> want the agency to gather that information for the customer so they can
> run the check but not have to bother getting the info. direct from
> the candidate they're working to on-board) - these checks also cost $$,
> so I've never seen agency/employer start that process before at least
> a contingent offer is extended and accepted.
>
> employer to be the agency (contracting through agency), rather than
> the agency's customer.  I'd presume similar for 1099, but haven't done
> that through agency.
>
> I think that's probably it, without any other exceptions -
> at least no others that I can think of.
>
> On the other hand, I'm sure there's lots of phishers - possibly including
> by phone, that would love to have birthdate (or birthday) and SSN,
> along with a name, perhaps also phone number and/or address ...

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."