[conspire] (forw) HaveIBeenPwned.com (was: Safer Browsing) (personal info. & recruiters)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 4 10:01:12 PDT 2019

> From: Texx <texxgadget at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] (forw) HaveIBeenPwned.com (was: Safer Browsing)
> Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 00:45:00 -0700

> Some time back, I mentioned that Id stopped giving the recruiters ANY part
> of my SS#
> I admitted to having foolishly continuing to give my real birth day and
> month.

Ya know, with some slight exceptions, I don't think I've *ever* given
recruiter/agency my SSN, or my birthday or birth date information.
The slight (and typically) (more-or-less) exceptions that I'm aware of?
When there's an offer (/contingent offer) on the table
and I've accepted and:

they "need" it for background check (sometimes the agency will directly
do it themselves, or will do it for their customer, or their customer will
want the agency to gather that information for the customer so they can
run the check but not have to bother getting the info. direct from
the candidate they're working to on-board) - these checks also cost $$,
so I've never seen agency/employer start that process before at least
a contingent offer is extended and accepted.

employer to be the agency (contracting through agency), rather than
the agency's customer.  I'd presume similar for 1099, but haven't done
that through agency.

I think that's probably it, without any other exceptions -
at least no others that I can think of.

On the other hand, I'm sure there's lots of phishers - possibly including
by phone, that would love to have birthdate (or birthday) and SSN,
along with a name, perhaps also phone number and/or address ...