[conspire] East Bay AWS usergroup meeting

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 22:59:54 PDT 2019

Id heard of Open Late but It looked like another gathering of people with
their noses stuck in their laptops, doing nothing thast they couldnt do at
home.

A lot of so called user groups IF they have a speaver, its usually someone
delivering a comercial for something Ill never use, but they are basically
there to fill the silence that would otherwise be there.
A lot of people go to user groups to be entertained, not really educated.
If I walk out of a user group without learning anything, my time there is
wasted.
Unfortunately, most user groups I visit are definitely wasted time.

That was why the East Bay AWS group was such a big deal.
It actually taught us stuff.
It wasnt simply entertainment, or "audio filler".

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:48 AM Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> > From: Texx <texxgadget at gmail.com>
> > Subject: [conspire] East Bay AWS usergroup meeting
> > Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 00:31:49 -0700
>
> > This was a REAL users group meeting, the likes Ive not seen in years.
> > This was an engaged crowd, quite knowlwdgeable to boot.
>
> If you've not checked it out, you might also want to try
> Open Late - sponsored by OpenDNS - on (egad) Meetup.com
> They do good technical presentations ... but I've not been in
> some year(s) (2ish or so?), so not sure what/how they're doing
> at present.  Oh, and for better or worse, typically includes
> free pizza and some beverage(s).  I think last time I went it
> was a (pretty dang) technical talk on gpg - most specifically on
> "version 2", and advanced/new features, troubleshooting, internals
> and structure (also of PGP in general), etc.  Good stuff!  :-)
>
> > The guy was hysterically funny.
> > Who knew accountants could be fun??!!??
> Oh, working with a good/excellent accountant/CFO can be *highly*
> impressive.  Perhaps I missed out on the more entertaining bits,
> but among my experiences - one CFO I worked directly under,
> was exceedingly adept at what he did.  He was an extreme expert
> in finding opportunities all over the place to save us money - and
> practically and highly workably too - not some theoretical b.s. or
> some cr*p that would have negative impacts and end up costing more
> directly or indirectly than it would save.  Likewise he was also
> quite good and finding us ways to increase net profits - everything
> from where/how/why/when to adjust prices, to new revenue opportunities,
> better marketing/advertising (and where/how to target those $s), etc. -
> lots of good/impressive results under that CFO.
> Likewise, once upon a time, my boss's boss was CFO of ... Wells Fargo.
> I was in great position (flat hierarchy) in the company (me, worker bee,
> nobody under me, and only 3 steps up the chain to CEO).  Anyway, at least
> with what bits I did get to see, that particular CFO was excellent and
> highly effective.  Of course with many big companies - as Wells Fargo
> was then, and is even more so now - things can vary greatly depending
> where one is within the organization (one's manager, what part of
> company, located where ...).  At other times at Wells Fargo,
> I could go up 5 levels of management, and with the exception of one
> mostly remote manager (my boss at the time), I wouldn't even make it
> off the same quadrant of the same floor ... and it was many more hops
> to make it all the way up to CEO (something like 9 from me to CEO) ...
> yes, I was way deeply buried in hierarchy in that other
> position/group/location ... and even though it was still the same
> company.
>
> > The problem is that in the stampede to the cloud, people forget that the
> > cost saving of the cloud is the ability to spin up resources on the spot
> > and terminate them just as fast.
> >
> > If your machine is going to be up all the time, the cloud will be more
> [...]

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."