[conspire] Distro thread

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 00:19:59 PDT 2019

RPM packages tend to send me into "dependency hell" loops.
deb packages, for some reason just have their dependencies nailed down
better.
I dont know why, it just is.

Deb works first time out of the bag and i cant remember the last time i had
a dependency problem with deb.

I have only used Yast a few times, so I dont have enough data to make a
comment on yast.
I seem to recall that yast still works on prm files, so that would indicate
that while it might be a better package tool, the issues with the RPM files\
we get off the net would be the same dependency hell.

Its not that RPM files are bad, its the fact that the community that builds
them has gotten sloppy.

The SUSE "Booth Babe" (Im SOOO gonna get killed fior that line....) said
"Suse started in 1992" but didnt elaborate in the detail Rick did.
So I dont think they really fibbed, I just didnt have all the pieces.

Pauls point about the shrink wrapped package at LW, leaves something
missing.
Being handed shrink wrapped CDs at a trade show is VERY different from
shrink wrapped on the shelf at Frys.
When I comment about first shrink wrapped, I mean on retail shelves, not
out of a backet at a trade show.
I was not clear before and that was my bad.  Aplogies offered.

Suse was very nice, they had chocolate and they had the pens with the touch
screen stylus on the back side.

They are only starting to chip away at RedHat in Europe (Their words).
As long as the Sweeded keep shoveling money at them, they expect to make
inroads against RedHat.
They almost fell over laughing when I called RedHat "north Carolina frat
boys"

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 9:50 AM paulz at ieee.org <paulz at ieee.org> wrote:

> I'll just add a memory about SuSE and YaST.
>
> I went to a LinuxWorld Expo in San Francisco during the DotCom era.  I
> went to the exhibits of various distros and asked about their process for
> installing Linux.  The SuSE rep handed me a green shrink wrapped package
> containing several CDs and said, "Here."
>
> In my experience, YaST was much easier to deal with than most of the
> alternatives.
>
> On Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 11:17:17 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> wrote:
>

> Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):
>
> > [The SUSE people] claim to have started in 1992, making them actually
> > older than RedHat, but couldnt tell me when they were first available
> > shrink wrapped.
>
> The _firm_ ('Gesellschaft für Software und System Entwicklung mbH') was
> established in 1992 -- and what they distributed at that time was
> Slackware (and also SLS).  Then in 1994, Patrick Volkerding helped
> translate Slackware into German, and the resulting translated Slackware
> was sold as 'S.u.S.E. Linux 1.0' -- but there was at that point no other
> software difference from Slackware, except full German language support.
>
> The company played around a bit with slightly customised Slackware, then
> switched stategies between 1993 and 1996 to use Florian La Roche's Jurix,
> another now-defunct early Linux distribution out of Germany, about which
> see
> http://linux.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/pub/linux/distributions/jurix/docs/history.html
> .
> The firm hired La Roche, in effect taking Jurix in-house, and it was he
> who developed the YaST admin tool for which SUSE became best known.
> Finally, the next release, 'S.u.S.E Linux 4.2' (to my knowledge the
> first non-beta after 1.0) followed, and was the first released that was
> distinctive from other people's work.  The new version number was, of
> course, a Hitchhiker's Guide reference.
>
> So, whoever told you they 'started in 1992' was either underinformed or
> was cheating a bit, because before 1996 SUSE was just a Unix consultancy
> firm and redistributor of other people's distributions.
>
> > I was surprised that the latest acquisition of Suse (Pronounced ' soo
> > sah ' , NOT ' soo see' )
>

> > They were owned by Novell, then Micro Focus, and now some Swedish
> > venture capitalist firm....
>
> Yeah, I said that.

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."