[conspire] Distro thread

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 4 01:55:17 PDT 2019

Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):

> RPM packages tend to send me into "dependency hell" loops.  deb
> packages, for some reason just have their dependencies nailed down
> better.  I dont know why, it just is.
>
> Deb works first time out of the bag and i cant remember the last time
> i had a dependency problem with deb.

It's not the package tool that makes the difference.  It's policy.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170628221254/http://www.advogato.org/article/169.html

> I seem to recall that yast still works on rpm files.....

SUSE is indeed an RPM-based distribution.

> Pauls point about the shrink wrapped package at LW, leaves something
> missing.  Being handed shrink wrapped CDs at a trade show is VERY
> different from shrink wrapped on the shelf at Frys.  When I comment
> about first shrink wrapped, I mean on retail shelves, not out of a
> backet at a trade show.

{shrug}

Shrink-wrapped proprietary software is very 1990.

--
Cheers,        There's no theorem like Bayes's Theorem, like no theorem we know.
Rick Moen      Everything about it is appealing, everything about it is a wow.