[conspire] new computer?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 20 12:17:30 PST 2018

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

>  Th[ose] links have details on AMD graphics.   Generally an AMD
>  processor implies AMD graphics, so I don't have to look further to
>  see that it is not the nBrand graphics.

Oh, sorry, I didn't follow your links.

Yes, what you say seems entirely fine.  Of course, even AMD GPUs are not
necessarily well supported in current Linux distro software at the time of
market introduction -- though they might be fully supported in the
latest upstream kernel and X.org releases.  It certainly helps that AMD
assists the Linux and open source community.

As a current (?) example, see the Arch Linux comments about AMD 'Southern
Islands' (Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs) and AMD 'Sea Islands' (Radeon HD
8000 Series GPUs), here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Installation

I don't know how current that is, and am a little surprised at Arch
Linux support for those video chips being so fiddly.  Maybe the page is
outdated (rare for the ArchLinux wiki), but it was current as of some
time in recent memory.  Those GPUs series entered the market in 2012 and
2013 respectively, according to Wikipedia.