[conspire] new computer?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Nov 21 02:44:08 PST 2018

On 11/20/18 8:11 PM, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
> This links have details on AMD graphics.   Generally an AMD processor
> implies AMD graphics, so I don't have to look further to see that it is
> not the nBrand graphics.

It depends if you're choosing a CPU with an integrated GPU or not.

AMD integrated GPU tend to outperform Intel integrated GPU... infact AMD
is selling its technology to help Intel integrate better GPU in their
CPU (yep).

There are only discrete nvidia GPU... in notebook you may have an intel
integrated GPU + a nvidia GPU for power management reasons... that has
been painful for Linux users.

If you're into "things that use GPUs" to do stuff... well... I bet you
know better than me. If you aren't, you shouldn't care.

If you're interested in high resolutions x many monitors you'd better go
for a discrete video board (not for performance reasons rather for
places where to put cables and memory).

Nvidia video boards can work with AMD CPU.

I used to chose nvidia for most of my workstations because they had the
best driver installer at that time and somehow they offered the best
bang for the buck.
Then AMD started to ship equally good, probably better installer and I
could find cheaper cards so I switched.

The fact AMD was more open source friendly helped develop open drivers
that extended the lifespan of my PCs when proprietary support was dropped.

I don't need fast video cards. I know nvidia has been for a long time
the best performer and now it seems AMD has returned to be competitive.

Now considering my needs for a workstation I'd chose AMD for both CPU
and GPU... (cheaper, more cores, Spectre impact).

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net