[conspire] new computer?

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Tue Nov 20 11:11:48 PST 2018

 This links have details on AMD graphics.   Generally an AMD processor implies AMD graphics, so I don't have to look further to see that it is not the nBrand graphics.

    On Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 10:35:12 AM PST, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

>  I also use a computer until it becomes a problem.Meanwhile, I found
>  two links regarding AMD and Linux.
> Official AMD support for Linux
> https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorad-lin-18-30
> And on debian.org
> https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
> There are many more pages.   So if I do go shopping, I would look for
> AMD processor.

Goodness, I didn't know you were really concerned about whether AMD
x86_64 CPUs have Linux compatibility problems.  They never have, which
really isn't surprising, since they invented the 64-bit x86 instruction
set (first implemented in the AMD Opteron, in 2003).

AMD released the spec in 1999, so that OS kernels could engineer support
for it in forthcoming hardware, and Linux was the first OS to do so,
starting with the 2.4 version in 2001, before the CPUs even hit the
market.  (Engineers doing the port used simulators.)