[conspire] Cheese it, it's the (French) cops!

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 7 21:25:19 PST 2018

> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 18:02:37 -0800
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> To: conspire at linuxmafia.com
> Subject: [conspire] Cheese it, it's the (French) cops!
>
> Paul asked:
>
>> BTW, is it necessary to have the French Police siren?
>
> Context is that the scrounged PIII-based Rackspace pizza-box server
> still running linuxmafia.com has a not-very-loud alert sound going
> off 24x7, which IMO is slightly annoying during indoor CABAL meetings,
> but not IMO greatly so.  The alert is a two-tone thing slightly
> reminiscent of the police siren you encounter in Pink Panther movies
> (thus the name Duncan Mackinnon bestowed on this background noise).
>
> I'm following up, however, to share the reason why I find this audible
> alarm a really funny example of how to screw up the human-factors aspect
> of computer hardware design, and also to warn that similar screw-ups abound.
>
> So, to review, what the 'French Police' alert seems to be about:  This
> Rackspace box is the ratty old server enclosure that from the early
> 2000s until a decade ago ran lists.svlug.org.  It lived inside Joe
> McGuckin's small colo in Palo Alto, Via.net, until Via.net pulled the
> plug on hosting SVLUG for free, at which point the unused hardware got
> dumped in my garage.  I didn't do a thing with the machine until the day
> my final spare VA Linux 2230 motherboard died.  Just on a hunch, I
> detached my SCSI hard drives from the dead motherboard, connected them
> to the Rackspace one, flipped the power on, and my server came fully
> back online.  Great, do another full backup, then leave the machine the
> hell alone pending migration to something modern.  (Which hasn't
> happened yet.)  And, the more-than-faint-but-less-than-loud alert tone
> has been present all the time it's been powered on.
>
> What's it alerting about?  Well, the Rackspace came with dual PIII CPUs,
> but one cannot help noticing that one of those CPUs has a frozen,
> no-longer-spinning CPU fan on top of it.  This is in general terms a
> Very Bad Thing, and I consider it highly likely that the PIII under the
> frozen fan died the death shortly after the fan froze up.  (This is one
> reason why I vastly prefer passive cooling over anything mechanical,
> particularly fans.)  I'd be very, very surprised if that audible alarm
> is saying anything but 'Hey, server owner.  You might want to know that
> one of your two CPUs is utterly borked.'

And, had earlier occurred to me, but I'd not peeked until just wee bit
ago, ... I actually have login access to that host, so ...

$ ssh -ax linuxmafia.com. 'exec cat /proc/cpuinfo'
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 1000.089
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 2000.17
clflush size    : 32
cache_alignment : 32
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 1000.089
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 2000.22
clflush size    : 32
cache_alignment : 32
power management:

$

So, still shows both CPUs there, ... so ... maybe not (totally?) borked?
It might be alarming about the failed fan, ... or something else.  Who
knows what.  Could probably even run some command(s) to see if
processes are running on both CPUs.  I don't recall if that CPU
model, etc. has multiple cores or not ... I don't think so, but I don't
recall for sure (and yes, that can of course be looked up).  There's also
pretty good documentation around about how to interpret the contents of
the /proc/cpuinfo file.

Use of
# dmidecode
might also be useful - it may display and decode enough hardware information
to possibly indicate if there are detected hardware error(s) present.