[conspire] ATX power supplies & default power up state (was: CPU upgrade questions (was ...)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:23:42 PDT 2018

Another thing worth checking regarding ATX power supplies and
default power-up state ...
BIOS settings.
Some have options, e.g. something roughly like
(I've seen such on "vicki" SuperMicro host I have):
on restoration of power:
o go to standby
o go to prior state
o go to power on

So, may be worth checking BIOS settings/options.
"Of course" that doesn't necessarily mean such as setting/option
may change or go away with a BIOS upgrade 8-O
... and always good to test that such works.
But ... may want to not presume things are as inflexible
and can't be as desired, without checking if there may be
available settings/options.

Also, much of this is often (also) in the name of
"Energy Star" efficiencies and such ...
e.g. especially stuff targeted for consumers, doing things like
defaulting to being off/standby upon power restoration,
doing a "sleep" or "hibernate" if there's no keyboard activity after
a while, or someone closes the lid on the laptop, etc.
Not necessarily all "bad" things (and especially at scale and applied
to power consumption) ... but for, e.g. "server" systems, may be
inappropriate and/or one may need to set things other than to their
defaults ... at least if one is in fact given the option(s) to do so.