[conspire] ATX power supplies & default power up state (was: CPU upgrade questions (was ...)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 8 16:50:26 PDT 2018

> Another thing worth checking regarding ATX power supplies and
> default power-up state ...
> BIOS settings.
> Some have options, e.g. something roughly like
> (I've seen such on "vicki" SuperMicro host I have):
> on restoration of power:
> o go to standby
> o go to prior state
> o go to power on
>
> So, may be worth checking BIOS settings/options.
> "Of course" that doesn't necessarily mean such as setting/option
> may change or go away with a BIOS upgrade 8-O
> ... and always good to test that such works.
> But ... may want to not presume things are as inflexible
> and can't be as desired, without checking if there may be
> available settings/options.

Well worth noting, of course.  FWIW, Deirdre's former ShuttlePC
lunchbox-format 'server' motherboard utterly lacked such a BIOS Setup
control, and I've seen waaaaay too many examples of such ATX failure in
the years since then.  Enough that I regard it as a serious and
pervasive problem.

If you asked me to cite a motherboard brand where I would _least_ expect
to observe that problem, I would probably say 'SuperMicro'.  (I oserve
it most commonly on machines designed to be workstations -- as with the
ShuttlePC.)