[conspire] system wide firefox extensions installation

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Jun 21 16:25:55 PDT 2017

On 06/19/2017 08:47 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Well, you may recall we-lot discussed on svlug at lists.svlug.org back in
> February the fact that all hell was soon going to break loose with
> Firefox extensions because of the WebExtensions thing and mandatory
> code-signing.

Well e10s and WebExtensions were overdue.
Probably they spent too much time tweaking the UI with no direction and
moving options around.

> I haven't checked into the state of things following the predicted
> madness we spoke of several months ago, but I'm not at all surprised to
> hear that it's not going well.  Perhaps you should consider moving
> sideways to Firefox-ESR, or Palemoon, or something like that.

> Or downgrade to Firefox-54.

Fortunately it didn't last much. For NoScript I had to wait several
months till I decided to pack it by myself and debian still contain a
very old package.
Now there is a new version of ublock origin in experimental that works
with ffox 55.

But back on point, I'm still looking for a way to automatically install
firefox extensions system wide and I can't believe no system
administrator share my needs.

Debian packages are built from source.
Firefox extension on Mozilla web site are distributed as "binary" (sort of).

Trying to replicate building from source every extension can be
different for all packages, automating installation from Mozilla
"compiled" packages should be easier to automate.

I was looking for a tool or at least some documentation, guideline to
write my own tool

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it http://www.borgonovo.net