[conspire] system wide firefox extensions installation

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 18 23:47:51 PDT 2017

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> With e10s and webextensions firefox is going through a period of
> deep change.
>
> Debian extension packages are not keeping up.
>
> I've to babysit my family's PCs and that translate to installing and
> upgrading (PCs) * (users) * (profiles) * (extensions).
>
> The first to break was noscript, I followed instructions on how to
> package it and set up a home repository.
>
> Now with ffox 55, ublock origin broke.
>
> I gave a quick look at how debian maintainers packaged it and it is
> way too different from how they packaged noscript.
>
> I may consider to try to package a newer version of ublock-origin
> later but I was looking for a lazier approach other than downgrading
> to ffox 54.
>
> I thought it was a common problem to install extensions system wide
> but I couldn't find any tool to automate it.
>
> What am I missing?

Well, you may recall we-lot discussed on svlug at lists.svlug.org back in
February the fact that all hell was soon going to break loose with
Firefox extensions because of the WebExtensions thing and mandatory
code-signing.

I haven't checked into the state of things following the predicted
madness we spoke of several months ago, but I'm not at all surprised to
hear that it's not going well.  Perhaps you should consider moving
sideways to Firefox-ESR, or Palemoon, or something like that.

Or downgrade to Firefox-54.