[conspire] (forw) Re: [Lug-nuts] New laser printer recommendations?

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri Feb 3 15:40:00 PST 2017

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 02:31:20PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Relevant to recent thread, one guy's opinion.  Looks to me like your
> basic relatively OK cheapo colour unit, compromises being particularly
> apparent in buffer RAM (256MB) and print language (PCL5e but no
> PostScript).  Claimed resolution is really good.
>
> But notice this:  This guy makes ZERO attempt to guesstimate future cost
> of toner supplies per page.  Like the HP 2605 series discussed here, the
> Ricoh unit needs 4 colour toner cartridges.  What's the money cost, then?
> No attempt to even guess.  And this is where printer choice most often goes
> wrong -- blindness to one of the most crucial concerns, and the one
> where people most often cheat themselves.
>
> On the HP, a full set of four was, you may recall, about $100 if you use
> third-party rather than HP-branded supplies, and if I'd been serious
> about evaluating it, I'd also try to estimate page count for a toner
> set.  For this Ricoh unit, _each_ colour cartridge appears to be about
> $100, but I don't know offhand how many sheets that prints.
>
> If I were comparison-shopping, I'd try to figure that out.

eh, the observation about the dust might be right, I did have that
problem, but the 551 is another beast altogether.  I'm quiet proud of it
and I've only replaced 1 cartige in 3 years, the black.

I don't trust the page counts by the manufactorers, and certainly I
wanted PS capability.

We used a small subset of PS as a language for my compiler class... that
is implementing PS.  Baring some disaster, I doubt I will ever buy
another laserjet.  Price fixing alone makes me think that page counts
won't vary that greatly.  A wide number of clone cartriages is another
important consideration, although chosing an ink supplier is a another
problem.  The Pharmacy used a HP M452 which printed out all day long/7
days a week.  There is no way a rinkie dink Rioch would handle that dust
filled environment to print RXs and reports all day and afford decent
clone print cartrigages.