[conspire] (forw) Re: [Lug-nuts] New laser printer recommendations?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 3 14:31:20 PST 2017

Relevant to recent thread, one guy's opinion.  Looks to me like your
basic relatively OK cheapo colour unit, compromises being particularly
apparent in buffer RAM (256MB) and print language (PCL5e but no
PostScript).  Claimed resolution is really good.

But notice this:  This guy makes ZERO attempt to guesstimate future cost
of toner supplies per page.  Like the HP 2605 series discussed here, the
Ricoh unit needs 4 colour toner cartridges.  What's the money cost, then?
No attempt to even guess.  And this is where printer choice most often goes
wrong -- blindness to one of the most crucial concerns, and the one
where people most often cheat themselves.

On the HP, a full set of four was, you may recall, about $100 if you use
third-party rather than HP-branded supplies, and if I'd been serious
about evaluating it, I'd also try to estimate page count for a toner
set.  For this Ricoh unit, _each_ colour cartridge appears to be about
$100, but I don't know offhand how many sheets that prints.

If I were comparison-shopping, I'd try to figure that out.

----- Forwarded message from linus at fullsack.com -----