[conspire] storing passwords

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Apr 6 15:17:10 PDT 2017

begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:44:02AM -0700:
> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
> > I totally understand the need to have different passwords for different accounts.  I also seem to have a limit on the number of brain cells for this.
>
> This is a wise and astute comment.  The biggest problem with passwords
> is that we need to create, reliably remember, and occasionally change
> quite a lot of them, that any compromosing of password complexity
> or duplication makes them a lot weaker, and that the human brain simply
> can't do all that.

Things that people are really bad at: remembering
strings of high-entropy text.

Thing that most web site security depends on: making
users remember strings of high-entropy text.

I use "pass" which I can sync among devices without
trusting the server too much:

  https://www.passwordstore.org/

You do have to have GPG working first (and it helps
to know git), but once you have that it's pretty
straightforward.

protip: if you want to keep people who do web
development from trusting their data to your web
site, disallow passowrds containg quotation marks,
percent signs,  or semicolons.

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/