[conspire] "KVM" on Linux ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Sep 24 12:55:59 PDT 2016

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> I now have a .vmdk file generated from my 8.1 install.   Next is to
> confirm that this file will really run under VB.  I asked some
> question to the group and the discussion redirected to KVM.

Which I think you can interpret as showing that the Internet babbles a
lot, has a short attention span, and sometimes needs to be ignored.  ;->

> What I think I will do next will be to install VB on a different machine that is running Debian.

That would work.  Or, if you have a spare hard drive (that we can call
the 'test drive') for that laptop, swap the present drive out for the
test drive, put your choice of Linux distro on it, install VirtualBox
for Linux on that, and use that to test your Windows 8.1 .vmdk file and
see if it's satisfactory.

> Hmmmm, why exactly again the need/reason/desire to have KVM on a live
> Linux ISO?

Might be nice to try KVM as a fallback option.  It appears indeed that
KVM can use the .vmdk files directly (that were invented by VMware, not
Virtualbox).  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/FAQ

(That was just my first hit from Web-searching.  I'm sure there are
better resources.)