[conspire] "KVM" on Linux ...

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Sat Sep 24 10:36:52 PDT 2016

This discussion is getting rather tangled.  Let me start at the beginning.

I bought a laptop because I occasionally need to run certain Windows applications.  Some of them use unique USB dongle thingies.  At the time, I expected I could set the machine to dual boot either Linux or Windows as I had done numerous times in the past.
Then I discovered EFI. Part of a CABAL was spent figuring out the BIOS settings to be able to execute a live linux on a USB stick.

Then the discussion continued online at: http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2016-March/008356.html
The thread touched on the relative merits of virtualization vs dual boot, grumblings about lack of install media, and a suggestion of how to convert my Windows 8.1 installation to run under VirtualBox.
I now have a .vmdk file generated from my 8.1 install.   Next is to confirm that this file will really run under VB.  I asked some question to the group and the discussion redirected to KVM.

What I think I will do next will be to install VB on a different machine that is running Debian.  I will see what VB does with the .vmdk file and also test usage of the USB dongles.  Then I will know if VB is a viable solution.
Plan B will be to install Linux on a USB drive and use it with the laptop.   I mean actually install to the USB/SSD, not just copy a .iso file.  Then I will have dual boot but with an extra dongle.

Can  someone suggest why I should restart my project with KVM and searching for install media?  Will KVM allow the guest to have access to USB devices?