[conspire] VirtualBox

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Sun Mar 6 08:47:51 PST 2016

So I have a laptop that was factory installed with Win 8.1.  No install media came with it.

After I get Linux installed, I anticipate that my usage will be 90% Linux and 10% Windows.  I have never used VirtualBox, but several people say it is the way to go. I am inclined to give it a try since dual-boot does not happen as part of installing Debian or Mint on this machine.

After reading the documentation, it appears that what I need to do is:
* Install VirtualBox on Windows.
* Create a new partition for the guest OS.
* Possibly create another partition for shared data

* Launch VirtualBox

* From inside VirtualBox install Linux as a virtual machine into the new partition.

After everything is configured, I will always be running Windows and be subject to the annoying unscheduled downtime when Microsoft decides to install an update.

Is this the only practical option?

Perhaps I should bring all of the pieces to the next CABAL and do the install there...