[conspire] Reminder on voting deadline (TODAY); presidential primary election notes

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue May 24 00:09:38 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-05-24 at 00:00 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
>
> > I see something incorrect on that page even at first glance, no doubt
> > derived from this text:
> > http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/primary-elections-california/
>
> Nice thing about Web pages: editable.
>
> > Yet, if you click that PDF link, you see what that text was supposed to
> > say…
>
> You know, at first I _did_ have Libertarian Party in the list of parties
> that will permit NPV participation (as that's what newspapers had said),
> but then removed it based on what
> http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/primary-elections-california/ said
> ('Democratic and American Independent parties').
>
> {sigh}  Try to be careful see what it gets you.
>
> I am seriously not going to read every linked file on the Secretary of
> State's site that -might- be relevant -- but I guess I'll now revert the
> aforementioned edit.

Yeah, I already had the correct info on this as a pollworker in the
election, so I had to hunt down the source of the inaccuracy. C'est la
vie.

Your page also says that in your county, no-party-preference voters may
vote for the Democratic party central committee. That's illegal after a
7-2 USSC decision with Scalia writing for the majority, Kennedy writing
a concurring opinion, and Stevens dissenting, joined by Ginsburg.